Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Frogs!

Hello everyone!

I was recently thinking up animals/plants to talk about and decided I would choose the Poison Dart Frog. The idea came to me when I was cleaning up my room. I have saved a lot of my school work, especially from elementary school. Well in first grade, when I was at MSNV, I wrote this "paper" on Frogs. It was simple, had a lot of pictures, and made me smile. So, we will learn about these frogs.

(I've been a real nature girl since I was little. I have many plastic poison dart frogs and the blue was always my favorite).
Where they live: Mostly in the rainforests of Central and South America
Length of life: About 1-3 years (though sometimes for 10 years)
Weight: 0.2 to 6 grams
Diet: Small insects, such as crickets and fruit flies
They produce: 8-10 eggs
When do they lay eggs: during the summer (rainy season)
Not all poison dart frogs are deadly. Plus, only three species are deadly to humans.
Some poison dart frogs are endangered because their habitat is being destroyed.
They are called poison dart frogs because some native tribes have used them to poison their darts.
In captivity poison dart frogs are not poisonous.
The blue poison dart frog (seen above) was only discovered in 1968
A group of frogs is sometimes called an army.

What you can do:
  • Spread the word. Frogs, like many other small and less known organisms, don't get the attention they need. By talking about frogs and teaching others, awareness starts. Then more action will be taken to help.
  • Don't waste paper, food or any materials for that matter. Rainforests are being cut down to provide more food, wood and space for humans. Frogs are losing their habitat because of this.
  • Reduce, reuse, and recycle.
  • Check out the Save The Frogs website. It is America's only public charity helping protect frogs and other amphibians of the world. They have a great list of 50 things YOU can do to help. (link:  http://www.savethefrogs.com/)
  • Become a part of the Rainforest Action Network. They are a really cool website that is a helping save our rainforests. Plus, there is great information there.
That's the Posion Dart Frog. I hope you enjoyed that nature chat.
Stay tuned for more,
KZ.

2 comments:

  1. Hi, I love frogs and the blue one is awesome :)

    You have a good idea for a blog, make people aware of the importance of nature.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love frogs too :)

    Thanks, I'm really passionate about the educating the public and I think this is a great way to do it.

    ReplyDelete