Thursday, August 25, 2011

Alas, where has the time gone

Hello Everyone!
I have been busy this summer, hence the reason for my lack of posts. First it was my volunteering. I dearily loved working at the national zoo but my, after my day I was tired. I love kids and the other odd assortment of people that filtered through the invertabrate house, but it was exhausting. So many questions, so many school groups with little kids, so many hot humid days. To be honest, when the days were slow we would make up invertabrate jokes.
What is the most romantic creature in this exhibit? the cuddlefish.
Why are our spiders so high tech? because they are web based spiders
And there are many more :)

And then, there was volunteering at the national aquarium. Even though it's in the bottom of the commerce buidling and I constantly get "there is a national aquarium in dc?" I love that place. I get to talk to kids about endangered species, answer all the visitors questions, bring out carts with shark teeth and jaws, with alligator purses (telling people it's wrong to buy this!), with snake skin and skulls. I get to stare at my favorite animals (the posion dart frogs, horn shark, octopus and loggerhead turtles) to my hearts content. I get to meet really amazing people (young and old) that impress me and teach me something. I could ramble on for days with how much I love that place.

Then there was Cornell. To put it simply I took a conversation biology course for three weeks at Cornell University. It was an eye opening expierence that made me want to pursue this career (teaching about and helping the environment) even more, which I didn't think possible.

And that brings me to my last, non fun non environmental task: college applications. This combined with all my summer homework, has bogged down my life since August 1st when the common application opened. Every second I don't have something to do I am in the library (as I am right now) working on my essays (which I am taking a break from with this blog). I blame this for my lack of writing. I mean, after writing all day and becoming overly frustrated with my inability to convey anything, I just don't even want to think about writing more :)

I will, my fellow environmentalists or just curious humans, write more soon. I have so many ideas for topics to discuss (rhinos, pygmy hippos, slow loris etc.) But right now I must bang my head against the table and try to bring to life my voice so that I can pursue my dreams in college :)

I hope you enjoyed this nature chat.
Stay tuned for more,
KZ

No comments:

Post a Comment